Recipe by Christina Ward
Yield 6 to 8 pints
- 3 Fresh Pineapples, peeled, cored and cut into spears or chunks
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 1.5 cup apple cider vinegar (5% acidity)
- 1.5 cup pineapple juice
- 5 sticks cinnamon, broken
- 3/4 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- Combine brown sugar, vinegar and pineapple juice in a large nonreactive pot.
- Place spices into a cheesecloth, tie corners into a pouch; add to pot.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add pineapple to pickling solution; simmer until hot throughout. Remove pineapple pieces from pot and keep hot.
- Heat syrup to a boil; remove spice bag.
- Pack hot pineapple into hot jars, leaving ¼ inch headspace.
- Ladle hot pickling solution into jars over pineapple, leaving ¼ inch headspace.
- Remove air bubbles.
- Wipe jar rim, add lids and bands.
- Cool to room temperature then place in refrigerator for storage. Jars can be safely stored in refrigerator for approximately 2 months.
Christina Ward is the certified Master Food Preserver for Milwaukee County. She teaches canning classes, volunteers in the community, and sells interesting jams and jellies at a local farm market. She lives is a fifth-generation Bay Viewite whose heart still mucks … Read More