2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large potatoes (russet or heirloom varieties), shredded, skin on
1 medium onion, diced
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup shredded Wisconsin cheddar cheese or preferred cheese
1 handful of fresh herbs (Any combination of dill, basil, chives, parsley), chopped or torn
4 eggs, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 400º F (200º C).
- Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot, add the potatoes and fry until crispy and golden, about 15 minutes. (Kids can shred/grate potatoes)
- Reduce heat to medium, and add onions. (Older kids can rough chop onions. Younger kids can stir until softened)
- Crack eggs into a bowl (Have kids crack eggs into bowl) Season with salt and pepper and herbs (Have kids rough chop or hand tear herbs. They can also measure out seasoning into a small bowl first, prior to adding it to egg bowl)
- Pour egg mixture over the potatoes and onions.
- Place the skillet in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until eggs are firm.
- Remove from the oven, and sprinkle shredded cheese over the top. (Have kids grate cheese and sprinkle on top).
- Return to the oven for about 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.