Preparation time: 15 minutes making, 30 minutes chilling
1 cup dried fruit
1/2 cup warm water
1 1/2 cups cereal bran (oats, rye, millet, spelt, quinoa)
1 cup rice protein powder
3 Tablespoons low-fat milk (or unsweetened almond milk)
1 Tablespoon finely grated orange or lemon zest.
½ cup chopped nuts
¼ to ½ teaspoon spice (or spice mixture)
¼ cup cocoa nibs or mini chocolate chips (for those who want a bit of sweetness!)
Makes six bars. Nutritional info: Calories: 250, Fiber: 40 grams, Sugars: 23 grams, Protein: 16 grams. (Note that this is a guide; there can be small variance depending on ingredient choices.)
Tools: 9 x 5 loaf pan, food processor with chopping blade, parchment paper
Raw, Gluten Free (depending on ingredient choice), Vegan (if Almond Milk is used).
- Line loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Soften chosen fruits in warm water for 5 minutes (save the liquid).
- Place cereal grain into food processor and pulse until a “bran” consistency (not quite powder, but not big chunks).
- Add in all other ingredients. Pulse until combined and sticks together (if too dry, add a bit of the saved soaking juice).
- Transfer mixture to prepared loaf pan. Place another piece of parchment on top and press to spread and flatten evenly. Cover and chill 30 minutes.
- Remove from pan by lifting out by parchment lining. Place on cutting board and slice into six bars.
To store: Wrap individual bars in plastic wrap. These will keep one week in the refrigerator or three months in the freezer.
That’s the basic recipe. Here are some tasty combinations! Use your imagination and pantry to develop your own favorites.
Rye/Blueberry/Cinnamon (Tasters’ favorite gluten-free combination)
Oats/Cranberry/White chocolate mini-chips