List and Recipe by Francie Szostak
Photography by Joe Laedtke
Summer is upon us, full of bountiful gardens, vibrant farmers markets, and bulging CSA boxes! While summer barbecues may begin as soon as school lets out, here in southeastern Wisconsin we still have a few more weeks to wait till true “warm season” crops like melons, peppers and tomatoes appear, ripening to peak near the end of August. In the meantime, enjoy the plethora of greens, herbs and more that early summer has to offer.
- Garlic scapes
- Garlic Greens (arugula, chard, frisee, kale, lettuce, napa cabbage, pac choi, raddichio, spinach and tatsoi)
- Herbs (basil, cilantro, dill, marjoram, parsley, rosemary and sage)
- Summer squash
- Sweet corn
- Sweet onions
Summer Recipe: Grilled Lettuce Salad
Craving grilled veggies for that first barbecue of the season? Try a grilled lettuce salad! Choose a sturdier variety—romaine works great.
Grilled lettuce is all about the quick sear, so get your grill nice and hot.
- Slice your lettuce into wedges or halves and rub it down with your oil of choice.
- Quickly cook 30 seconds to 1 minute per side, just long enough to char.
- Top with your favorite homemade dressing and eat immediately.